- Fully revised and updated history dictionary, containing over 4,000 clear and concise entries
- Biographies of key figures in world history, from Alexander the Great to George W. Bush, Elizabeth I to Nelson Mandela
- International coverage, with detailed entries for every country in the world
- Subject entries on religious and political movements, international organizations, and key battles and places
- 25 detailed maps covering events and topics such as the Black Death, the Normandy Campaign, and the African slave trade
New to this edition
- Revised edition: fully updated to take into account border changes, major changes in regions (e.g. former Yugoslavia), and the addition of recent major events (e.g. the 2004 Tsunami)
- Key biographies extended and updated (e.g. Tony Blair ), with others added (e.g. Vladimir Putin, Benedict XVI )... дальше »
This wide-ranging dictionary contains a wealth of information on all aspects of history, from prehistory right up to the present day. Over 4,000 clear, concise entries include biographies of key figures in world history, seperate entries for every country in the world (summarising key historical events), and subject entries on religious and political movements, international organizations, and key battles and places.
This new edition of the dictionary has been thoroughly updated to cover recent changes in world affairs. It includes new biographies for recent key figures (e.g. Vladimir Putin, Benedict XVI ), updated biographies for other major figures (e.g. Tony Blair ), and the addition of recent major events and their after-effects (including the Orange Revolution and the 2004 tsunami).
The book also contains twenty-five detailed maps linked to key historical events and topics. These include the African slave trade, the Black Death, and the Normandy campaign.
Encyclopedic in scope, this ambitious dictionary provides an excellent overview of world history both for students and the general reader.